BioValley – The Life Science Network – was founded in 1996. The vision of the founders was to bring together Alsace (France), South Baden (Germany) and Northwestern Switzerland. It was one of the first European initiatives for the promotion and development of life sciences.
The three border regions Alsace, northwest Switzerland and South Baden stood out individually in the mid-90s for their outstanding potential in the field of life sciences:
- Outstanding scientific facilities (four universities, specialised colleges of higher education, research centres, etc.).
- Headquarters of global players Novartis and Roche as well as CIBA, Clariant, Lonza and Syngenta.
- Branches of large pharmaceutical companies, such as DSM, Johnson & Johnson, Eli Lilly, Pfizer, Sanofi and Moderna.
Today, the BioValley cluster compromises three associations (Alsace BioValley, BioValley Deutschland and BioValley Basel) and the BioValley Platform in Germany. Our joint mission:
- A network of competences and know-how which includes companies, research institutes, universities as well as economic development agencies and public organizations the field of Life Sciences.
- The BioValley Cluster accompanies businesses and laboratories in the Life Sciences sector looking to innovate, grow or locate in the trinational BioValley region
See our the links to the Network for further detail.
- Connecting professionals using industry content in the Basel Life Science Cluster and the Tri-National BioValley (Switzerland/France/Germany)
- Monitoring and lobbying for favorable conditions for the life sciences industry and its professionals.
- BioValley aims at highlighting the international aspects of the BioValley as a key asset of the cluster (e.g. free movement of persons, integration of new arrivals etc.)
- BioValley aims to provide specific benefits to its members (individuals and companies.)
- Event in Fall
- Make BioValley Alsace/Germany better known in Basel and vice versa (Website etc.)
- Manage the BioValley LinkedIn-Group
- BioValley College Network
- BioValley Business Angels Club (BioBac)
Members of the Board
- Matthias Staehelin, President, VISCHER, Basel
- Nicholas Benedict, Entrepreneur, CEO, Vaderis
- Nicholas Franco, EVP, Actelion, Allschwil
- Neil Goldsmith, Entrepreneur, VRP Alentis
- Rudolf Gygax
- Trudi Hämmerli, Partner SNGLR Group
- Thomas Möller, Treasurer, BioMed Partners AG
- Zaki Sellam, Avicenna Oncology GmbH, Basel
- Sara Núñez-Garcia, Co-Founder and Partner Forty51 Ventures
- Ariane Hegel Reynolds, Chapter Lead & Co-Lead Innovation Office, University of Basel